I love mini M&Ms. Give me a bag of regular M&Ms and they'll stay uneaten in my house for weeks. Give me a bag of mini M&Ms and guaranteed they'll be devoured within the hour. As well as being delicious, they're also very cute and photogenic, so of course I needed to find a recipe to incorporate them into.
This is a great cookie base from Smitten Kitchen that you can add anything to - I've tried chocolate chips, white chocolate, apricot and chocolate, etc. Everyone needs an easy, go-to cookie recipe. I've tried many a cookie recipe in my lifetime and trust me, these are good.
from Smitten Kitchen
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
170 grams salted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
1 cup mini M&Ms or 2 cups chocolate chips (optional)
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.
- Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy.
- Mix in the sifted ingredients until just combined.
- If you want to use chocolate chips, add these to the dough at this stage and stir to combine with a wooden spoon.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes to an hour until firm.
- When ready, preheat oven to 165˚C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Use a cookie dough scoop to scoop out the dough and place cookies about 7cm apart.
- If using M&Ms, cover the tops of the cookies with the M&Ms and pat into place.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.