I love caramel slice. I think I've said that on here before. This slice is a thick layer of baked caramel/butterscotch between two layers of buttery shortbread. I mean need I say more?
Condensed milk, butter and golden syrup come together to make a butterscotch sauce that can easily be eaten on its own or spooned over ice cream. When baked though, the butterscotch caramelises and becomes dense, custardy and fudgy, making it a perfect filling for the buttery and crumbly shortbread.
For the base:
150g butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
For the filling:
2 heaping tablespoons of golden syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Sprinkle of salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- To make the base combine the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a food processor. Process until light and fluffy.
- Add in the flours, then process until a dough forms.
- Take 3/4 of the mixture and press into a square baking tin lined with baking paper. Wrap the remaining dough in glad wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- For the filling, melt the butter in a pot, add the golden syrup and stir. Remove from heat and add condensed milk, mixing until all the liquids are incorporated.
- Pour the filling over the dough in the tin.
- Coarsely grate the remaining piece of dough on top of the filling.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, until the crust is golden and the filling has browned.
- Let cool completely before cutting.